Hospitality Industry Awards & Scholarships
CHART believes in the importance of recognizing those in the industry that are committed to developing people and improving the performance of hospitality organizations. We recognize trainers and leaders for their contributions to CHART and the industry through awards and provide hospitality industry scholarships and grants for promising students and trainers in hospitality.
Commitment to People Award
The CHART Commitment to People Award was created in 1993 to recognize leaders in the hospitality industry who demonstrate a continuous dedication to people. The award is presented annually to a member's CEO/President in recognition of their outstanding commitment to the development of people in their organizations.
Any CHART member's CEO/President that actively and consistently establishes a culture that demonstrates a belief in the value of people is eligible. Nominees must be in a top-level position in a hospitality company to be considered for this award. Any employee in the nominee's company may submit the nomination.
Spirit of CHART Award
This award is presented to CHART members who have assisted in moving our association forward through contributions that have been above and beyond expectations. The Spirit of CHART Award represents the essence of a CHART member's commitment to CHART’s guiding principles of Learning, Sharing, Growing, and Caring.
Students interested in these scholarships can apply here. The applications are accepted January - April each year.
CHART and the National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation (NRAEF) present two $5,000 scholarships each year to current or recently graduated college students with the goal to work in the hospitality industry.
The National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation is the philanthropic arm of the National Restaurant Association. Since 1987, the NRAEF has awarded over $16 million dollars in scholarships to students pursuing an education and career in the hospitality industry. NRAEF education programs include ProStart®, a two-year high school program for restaurant management and culinary arts and ManageFirst® program for post-secondary students. The Award is presented at CHART's Commitment to People Awards Gala in July, the final evening of CHART's semi-annual hospitality training conference.
Training High Five
The Training High Five recognizes effective training ideas by CHART members. Each year, five ideas are chosen from member submissions of their training tip, game, or solution that really works and that others can easily adopt and implement.
The ideas are shared with all members, helping them deliver training more efficiently, better achieve their learning objectives, and improve the overall performance and engagement of employees who participate in their training programs, and published in Training High Five eBooks on our website for all to benefit from.
Learning Legacy Fund
The Learning Legacy Fund was established by CHART to provide a need-based professional development grant for trainers who have shown potential and passion for the profession, but who lack sufficient budget to attend a CHART conference. The grant will cover the candidate’s conference fee ($820), three nights hotel (approximately $450), airfare (maximum $400) and a stipend to cover some other expenses ($100). CHART Members and partners are encouraged to nominate worthy candidates for this special grant. Nominations are do in May and December for the following conference.
Learning Legacy Fund - Donors
GOLD FOUNDING DONORS $2000+
- Mike Amos
- Eric Bartlett
- Karen Brown
- Betty Rae Camarillo
- Monique Donahue
- Emily Ellis
- Pat Evans
- Joleen Goronkin
- Janet Hoffmann
- John Kelley
- Jason Lyon
- Lisa and James Marovec
- Serah Morrissey
- Chip Romp
- Jim Sullivan
SILVER FOUNDING DONORS $1000-$1999
- Michael Kacmar
- TJ Schier
- Dave Young
Commitment to People Award - Past Recipients
- 2019 - Jeff Chandler, CEO, Hopdoddy Burger Bar
- 2018 - Kat Cole, COO & President, North America, FOCUS Brands Inc.
- 2017 - Jeff Warne, President and CEO, Perkins & Marie Callender's LLC
- 2016 - Lisa Ingram, CEO, White Castle
- 2015 - Patrick Doyle, CEO, Domino's Pizza
- 2014 - Harris Rosen, President and COO, Rosen Hotels & Resorts
- 2013 - Marc Simon, President of Rubio's Restaurants
- 2012 - John Grady, President, Ninety Nine Restaurants
- 2011 - Dave Scrivano, President, Little Caesars Pizza
- 2010 - Mark Running, President, Roy's Restaurants
- 2009 - David Overton, Founder, Chairman & CEO, The Cheesecake Factory
- 2008 - Skip Fox, President, Fleming's Prime Steakhouse and Wine Bar
- 2007 - Cameron Mitchell, President and Founder, Cameron Mitchell Restaurants
- 2006 - Colin Reed, Chairman of the Board, President and CEO, Gaylord Entertainment
- 2005 - Julia Stewart, President, CEO and COO, IHOP Corp.
- 2004 - Rick Rosenfeld, Co-Founder, California Pizza Kitchen
Larry Flax, Co-Founder, California Pizza Kitchen
- 2003 - Harry Bond, President, Monical's Pizza Corp.
- 2002 - Kerry Kramp, President, Buffets, Inc.
- 2001 - Robert Dedman, Founder and Chairman of the Board, Club Corp. Inc. Robert Dedman Jr., President & CEO, Club Corp. Inc.
- 2000 - William Walton, Holiday Inn
- 1999 - Molly Hancock, Chief Operating Officer, Consolidated Restaurants, Inc.
- 1998 - David C. Novak, President and Vice Chairman, Tricon Global Restaurants
- 1997 - Wally Doolin, President and Chief Executive, Carlson Restaurants Worldwide
- 1996 - Bob Jameson, President and General Manager, The Worthington Hotel
- 1995 - Simon Cooper, President and CEO, Delta Hotel and Resorts
- 1994 - Joe Byrum, President, Morrison's Hospitality
- 1993 - Donald N. Smith, Chairman, President, and CEO, Friendly Ice Cream Corporation
Spirit of CHART Award - Past Recipients
- 2019 Donna Herbel
- 2018 Jason Lyon
- 2017 Calvin Banks
- 2016 Todd Horchner
- 2015 John Poulos
- 2014 Jennifer Swan
- 2013 Monique Donahue
- 2012 Andrew Arvay
- 2011 John Isbell
- 2010 John Alexander
- 2009 John Kelley
- 2008 Jim Knight
- 2007 Joleen Flory
- 2006 Lisa Schweickert
- 2005 T.J. Schier
- 2004 Christine Andrews
- 2003 Sandi Spivey
- 2002 Lanny Okonek
- 2001 Dick Kinney
- 2000 Claudia Carr
- 1999 Ellen Moore
- 1998 Harry Bond
- 1997 Dick Gaven