Director, Learning & Development
Purpose: Ensure Farmer Boys team members, franchise employees and above restaurant management have the knowledge, skills, and abilities to execute our strategy and their job responsibilities. Lead the development of the quality and quantity of internal talent needed to achieve growth objectives and achievement of business strategy.
This leader will design and implement learning, development, succession planning and organization development processes, tools and experiences using a variety of methods including web/computer-based, in-person, meetings, experiential, video/audio, and self-study. He or she must be able to effectively develop and grow an organization across geographical distances to create high quality, cost-effective results with a measured ROI.
Outcomes and Responsibilities
1. Initial Learning: Create initial competency in every new employee (front-line, management and support center) by designing and executing a learning system that effectively and efficiently provides the knowledge and skills required to achieve initial job outcomes.
· Employee and manager certification
· New employee turnover
· Potentially consumer and financial metrics—incremental sales, customer sat, etc.
2. Ongoing Development: Grow and sustain knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to achieve our strategy (current restaurants and growth). Build, implement, measure and improve a “learning map” that enhances current performance/productivity and builds strength for the future.
· Employee re-certification
· Talent Depth
· Employee surveys
· Potentially consumer metrics and financial ROI metrics
3. Succession Planning: Develop and execute a succession plan ensuring leadership growth keeps pace with Farmer Boys' growth objectives, creating a pool of enough “ready now” talent for key operating positions. Enable Farmer Boys to continuously “raise the bar” in the quality and performance of our leadership and management.
· Talent Depth (ready now successors)
· Strength in proven results-driving talent characteristics
· Internal promotion rate
· Diversity of talent pool
4. Change Management: Ensure the competency to execute new/changed processes and products at every Farmer Boys, including menu changes, promotional offers, new processes, and standards. Use effective learning processes and performance support tools.
· Execution/defects of the changed process
· Speed of change (measurement TBD)
5. Org Development: Develop Farmer Boys to achieve our vision/strategy by identifying and closing gaps between current state and desired capabilities and culture. Ensure we onboard every new hire effectively (building culture and high commitment), can change/grow effectively and quickly and build one culture (company and franchise). Includes leadership in conference design and execution.
· Employee and franchisee Surveys
· Consumer metrics (e.g. satisfaction, intent to return/refer).
- List the decisions this person will make:
Specific design and execution of learning and development processes, tools and experiences.
- List the decisions this person will initiate (made by others).
Overall learning map change management process improvements, key competencies, knowledge, skills, and abilities for each role. Identification and development of succession candidates.
- Operational expertise in designing, implementing and improving learning and development for all levels of employees including job specific, functional, product, managerial and leadership development.
- Practical experience rolling out online or blended learning solutions to a distributed workforce. Can develop and leverage a Learning Management System.
- Proven needs analysis and process consulting capability.
- Expertise in applied change management principles.
- Demonstrated mastery of adult learning theory and its application, instructional design techniques, including web/computer-based and learning evaluation methods.
- Competency in leadership assessment, development and measurement methods and techniques.
- Exceptional project management capability, proven in change management efforts on a large scale.
- Excellent planning and operational deployment skills. Ability to translate vision and strategy into clear, actionable processes, tools and experiences to achieve results.
- Understands basic financial management, including budget preparation and management skills
- Strategic: Has a strategic mindset; able to see the “big picture,” while maintaining a roll up your sleeves approach; “jump-in” right from the beginning.
- Team Player: Strong interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence, confident; able to establish and maintain credibility with internal customers at all levels, peers and staff. Leads through influence.
- Drive to Excel: High energy; perseveres through obstacles, a self-starter who doesn’t stop. Passionate about learning, development and results.
- Communication: Listens well, asks questions and expresses self effectively, both verbally (from one-on-one to large groups) and in writing.
- Innovative: Models and encourages creativity and innovation.
- Analytical: bases decisions on rigorous data. Thinks clearly and logically.
- Organized: Outstanding attention to detail; well organized.
- Decision Making: Considers relevant facts and stakeholders. Prefers quick and appropriate action to slow and precise ones in many situations.
- Conflict Resolution: addresses and resolves conflict quickly and effectively.
Travel up to 25%
Ability to present to groups, visit and work in restaurants
Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Psychology, Education, Business Administration or other pertinent discipline required. Advanced degree preferred.
At least seven years’ experience (likely more) in the design and development of leadership/management development and training programs, organizational development initiatives, HR initiatives,
Experience transforming learning in the business from a skills training function to a learning and performance function where business outcomes are measured and realized.
Proven success in a large, high growth, dispersed, multi-unit organization, must have foodservice experience.
Required: Training design coursework/certification
May perform other responsibilities as assigned. Responsibilities and duties may change when circumstances dictate. (e.g., emergencies, changes in workload, rush jobs or technical developments)
Date posted: 01/22/2020
Location: Riverside, CA
Contact: arlene petoaks
Company Name: Farmer Boys
As one of the fastest growing restaurant chains around, there are plenty of opportunities for friendly, dedicated farmhands to help us grow. Farm-to-table is hotter than a Farmer’s Burger® right off the grill. If you’re passionate about fresh food that comes straight from the earth, you’ll be happy to work here. We treat our team members like family. As one of the founders says, “Once a farmer, always a farmer”. If this sounds good to you, and you’re genuinely a nice person, give us a shout.